TownUnderground - Londonderry, NH
December 16, 2018, 09:40:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow TownUpdate.com on Facebook or Twitter

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Budget Committee Meeting: April 19, 2007
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget Committee Meeting 4/19/2007  (Read 3373 times)
GDouglas
Administrator

« on: April 02, 2007, 12:35:43 PM »

BUDGET COMMITTEE AGENDA
April 19, 2007

The Budget Committee meeting will be held in the Moose Hill Council Chambers, Town Hall, 268B Mammoth Road, Londonderry. Scheduled agenda times are advisory only. Regular meetings are cablecast live and videotaped for the convenience of our viewers at home.

7:00 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER

7:01 PM
II. PUBLIC HEARING
A. Invitation to State Legislative Contingent to discuss HB876 relative to the NH State Retirement System and Other matters of importance to the Contingent. (N.B. Legislators are unable to attend, Committee will discuss retirement issues as they affect the budget).

B. Committee Work – Continued discussion on whether to individually record members votes on motions.

C. Comments and Questions from Town Council Liaison Member.

D. Comments and Questions from School Board Liaison Member.

7:25 PM
III. PUBLIC COMMENT
A. None.

7:26 PM
IV. ACTION ITEMS
A. Goals for This Year.
1. Continue Taxpayer WhitePaper for this FY
2. Continue and refine Town and School Budget Reports
3. Update Open Space Report
4. Prepare a Report on Long-Term Debt for Town
5. Discuss and prepare a report on future revenue growth of Town
6. Prepare a Report on Elimination of Town and School Redundant Services.
7. Begin the process of analyzing School staff/administrators to student ratio in prior years.

8:05 PM
V. NEW BUSINESS
A. None

8:15 PM
VI. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
A. Public Meeting Minutes of March 22, 2007

8:30 PM
VII. OTHER BUSINESS
A. Designated Liaison Members
1. Town Council Liaison Members; Tom Dolan, Mike Brown, Sean O’Keefe, Frank Hegarty
2. School Board Liaison Members: Tom Freda, Mike Toth, Jay Hooley.
3. CIP Members: Frank Hegarty, Mike Toth (Alternate)
4. Housing Task Force: Sean O’Keefe.
5. Information Technology: Mike Toth.
B. Liaison Reports

8:45 PM
VIII. ADJOURNMENT

IX. UPCOMING MEETING SCHEDULE:
A. Budget Committee Meeting May 24, 2007 – 7:00 PM
B. Budget Committee Meeting June 28, 2007 – 7:00 PM
C. Budget Committee Meeting July 26, 2007 – 7:00 PM
D. Budget Committee Meeting August 23, 2007 – 7:00 PM

X. RECORD OF MEETINGS HELD:
1. Organizational Meeting March 22, 2007 – 7:00 PM

Glenn Douglas
Sean O'Keefe
Member:Full

Sean O'Keefe

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 01:02:24 PM »

This meeting is a great oppertunity for folks to meet with our state reps and have valued input on the state retirement fund issue at hand !!
come and be part of the process !!
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 05:48:29 PM »

Al, I hope you and the other State Reps will be able to make it.

Glenn Douglas
Tom Dolan

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 06:10:10 PM »

I believe our expectations should be that the state reps won't be able to fix all the problems right away--it will take probably some incremental adjustments over a period of a few sessions.  But I would hope we could fix at least one major issue in the short term:  Make sure the state stops raiding the funds! Angry  No more should the state be allowed to take "excess revenues" and skim them off for other purposes.  Leave the money alone so that the funds can be more self-sustaining.  Otherwise the local residents are forced to come up with the taxes to make up the shortfalls. Shocked

Tom Dolan
Londonderry Citizen
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:39:22 PM »

I heard tonight that all our State Reps and Senator Clegg will attend the meeting, with one exception Rep Sherm Packard will be in DC.

Glenn Douglas
AL Baldasaro

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:51:46 PM »

I believe our expectations should be that the state reps won't be able to fix all the problems right away--it will take probably some incremental adjustments over a period of a few sessions.  But I would hope we could fix at least one major issue in the short term:  Make sure the state stops raiding the funds! Angry  No more should the state be allowed to take "excess revenues" and skim them off for other purposes.  Leave the money alone so that the funds can be more self-sustaining.  Otherwise the local residents are forced to come up with the taxes to make up the shortfalls. Shocked

Tom,
Can you educate me and all on this site, who and where money is being raided from?

I have heard you say this now a few times and I think you should inform all where or who and not a blanket statement.

AL

GDouglas edit: 4/2/2007 10:24PM corrected post by separating Al's questions from Tom's quote
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:26:23 PM by GDouglas » Logged
AL Baldasaro

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:12 PM »

Al, I hope you and the other State Reps will be able to make it.

We will be there!

AL
Mike Brown

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 09:25:01 AM »

FYI To All:

Dave Caron gave an overview of this problem to the Town Council last night.  He will do the same at tonight's School Board meeting.  While the current bill to reform the system has some accounting changes in it that will help, Dave was quite clear in his comments last night that Londonderry taxpayers can expect to see another significant increase in future budgets (both school & town).

I would urge the School Board, Town Council, Budget Committee and taxpayers all pay close attention to this looming problem and ensure that future budgets takes this into account.  For those that were paying attention this year, Londonderry taxpayers were forced to contribute an extra $880,000 dollars for NH retirement payments for teachers, police & fire.  This increase was on top of the other contractual increases that were required for salaries & other benefits like health insurance.

NOTE: As noted above, the Budget Committee will be jointly discussing this critical issue and it's ongoing impact on our taxpayers at our 4/19 meeting.  This "is" a good opportunity to get all of the policy-makers (local & state) on the same page going forward.

Mike Brown

Mike Brown
mjws2000

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:39:45 PM »

I think we should also keep a watch on the number of teachers retiring this year and next (as they so deserve to do.)  They have done the chore and want the benefits they've worked for.  Part of the retirement system's problem will be the added numbers on the roll in the coming years.  They will increase for a few before they level off and begin to decrease.  We will see our wallets hit for those years if the legislature doesn't figure this out. 

Mary Wing Soares
Mike Brown

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 08:53:57 AM »

FYI - The central point to my post about this issue is that "our own budget-makers" (town & school) must take these future shortfalls into account when they craft their respective budgets.  While it's true that the State has the responsibility to fix the reitrement system, policy makers at the local level just can't sit around waiting for that to happen (it will take years).

IMO, plowing forward with "status quo" budgeting and passing these known increases onto the taxpayers every year.....is simply not proper.  As one budget committee member and taxpayer, I will be keenly observing whether future town & school budgets address this reality.         

Mike Brown
mjws2000

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 09:02:07 AM »

Mike,

You are right about this, of course.  While there is an effort to correct the problem at the state level, as Dave outlined last night at the school board meeting, local governments have to deal with the problem until it is fixed and without passing the burden onto the taxpayers if other ways are possible to find the money.

Mary Wing Soares
Sean O'Keefe

Sean O'Keefe

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 09:21:40 AM »

Mike,

You are right about this, of course.  While there is an effort to correct the problem at the state level, as Dave outlined last night at the school board meeting, local governments have to deal with the problem until it is fixed and without passing the burden onto the taxpayers if other ways are possible to find the money.

I think that my feelings are if my 401k does poorly I can't go to my employer and ask them to make up the difference so why are the taxpayers responsible to make up the difference for bad investments/practices done by the people running the fund? What about reducing the benefit until the plan is fully funded again ?
Social security is a complete joke and disappearing  by the day and more than likely will be gone by the time most of us get to retire and we pay into that.So why does this always fall on the taxpayers backs and is our problem to make up the difference even though we have already paid into it on the town side?
Tom Dolan

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »

What about reducing the benefit until the plan is fully funded again ?

What about asking the state to stop RAIDING the fund when it does well.  Just leave the money from the good years alone so it can cover the years that have poor rates of return. 

State reps:  Get to work and make this happen.

Tom Dolan
Londonderry Citizen
mjws2000

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »

Both Tom and Sean seem to have plausable solutions.  I am not saying pass the burden on to the taxpayer, I'm saying find solutions as you are suggesting.  However, it is short sighted to think that the taxpayers of this state will not be shouldering some of the burden at least in the near future.  And Mike's point is to simply remember that when we are constructing our budgets for the coming year(s)

Mary Wing Soares
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 11:47:02 PM »

This Thursday the Budget Committee will have all our State Reps and Senator at the meeting to discuss the NH Retirement system. Looks like a good meeting to attend.

Glenn Douglas
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: