TownUnderground - Londonderry, NH
November 20, 2019, 06:30:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow TownUpdate.com on Facebook or Twitter

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition Warrant Article to Open Town Charter - Advisory Vote  (Read 1324 times)
GDouglas
Administrator

« on: January 07, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »

Is it time to limit the term limits of limits of people serving on boards in town government?

If you agree sign the petition below. I'll post an address to drop off or mail the petition soon

To see if the voters will recommend to the Town Council to propose an amendment to the Town Charter to set term-limits on appointments to all non-land use boards. This question shall be non-binding on the Town Council.

If passed this article will require the town, to raise an additional 0.00 dollars in property taxes resulting in a tax rate impact of $0.00

* Petition warrant article to Open Town Charter.pdf (86.73 KB - downloaded 136 times.)

Glenn Douglas
Martin Srugis
Member:Full

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:48:18 PM »

Yes it is. If you want more townspeople involved it just can't be as just members. We need to allow people to go for chairperson position and see what they can do.
Multiple chairs is also a problem. Again we need to open up otherwise everyone believes we have in town an "old boys/girls network!"
If you are not "in" you cant be chairperson.
When this was brought up at Council meeting, Reed Clark made a good explanation as to why we need this. Experience, familiarity with town and its customs. But these are the very same reasons to have term limits. You limit the experience of outsiders and what they can bring to the table. After a while chairpersons do get "stale" in their thinking and actions.
A republican style of government is a participatory style. You need the citizens to be involved.

Martin Srugis
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »

I don't buy the incumbents argument that no one will step up.

It's a false argument.

When I ran for the Recreation Commission after a long time member retired there were 7 or 8 candidates. Recently there were two alternate Rec Com members who chose not to return. Those positions were immediately filled. I would also add that those alternates rarely attended meetings, but the position was held until they chose to retire.

The same has been true with the Conservation Commission. When long time members have stepped down those positions were immediately filled.

Glenn Douglas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: