TownUnderground - Londonderry, NH
May 23, 2019, 10:18:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow TownUpdate.com on Facebook or Twitter

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the Minutes of the Budget Committee record the individual votes of each member when a vote is called?
No - 1 (10%)
Yes - 8 (80%)
Not sure - 1 (10%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget Committee Meeting - 3/22  (Read 3883 times)
Mike Brown
Member:Full

« on: March 20, 2007, 03:19:34 PM »

Below is the agenda for the 3/22 meeting of the Budet Committee:

BUDGET COMMITTEE
AGENDA
March 22, 2007

The Budget Committee meeting will be held in the Moose Hill Council Chambers, Town Hall, 268B Mammoth Road, Londonderry.  Scheduled agenda times are advisory only.  Regular meetings are cablecast live and videotaped for the convenience of our viewers at home.

7:00 PM      I.   CALL TO ORDER

7:01 PM      II.   PUBLIC HEARING

A.   Selection of Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary of the Budget Committee for the upcoming year.

7:15 PM      III.   PUBLIC COMMENT

A.   Scott Bogle,  – CART Presentation

8:00 PM      IV.   OLD BUSINESS

A.   None

8:05 PM      V.   NEW BUSINESS

A.   Review of Liaison Assignments for last Budget Process,
B.   Goals for upcoming budget season.

8:15 PM      VI.   APPROVAL OF MINUTES

A.   Public Meeting Minutes of  February 12, 2007

8:30 PM      VII.   OTHER BUSINESS

A.   Designation of Liaison Members
B.   Town Meeting’s Report

8:45 PM      VIII.   ADJOURNMENT

NEXT MEETING SCHEDULE:

A.   Next Budget Committee Meeting April 26, 2007 – 7:00 PM
B.    

Mike Brown
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:00:22 PM »

Should be live on Channel 22 at 7:00PM

Glenn Douglas
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 07:35:10 PM »

Notes from Channel 20 viewing:

Members in attendance, James Hoole, Sean O'Keefe, Mike Brown, Frank Hagerty, Mike Toth, Tom Freda.

Selection of Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary of the Budget Committee for the upcoming year:
Chairman - Tom Freda 5-0-1
Vice Chairman - Frank Hagerty 5-0-1
Secretary - Tom Dolan nominated (not present) 6-0

Scott Bogle,  – CART Presentation
Scott Bogle was not in attendance. Will allow Scott to present if he arrives later.

V.   NEW BUSINESS

A.   Review of Liaison Assignments for last Budget Process,
Tom Freda describes last years liaison positions. Would like to continues this year. Suggest splitting each member with one month of assignments.

Tom Dolan arrives 7:11

Discussion continues about liaisons and who will cover Town Council and School Board

Tom Freda updates Tom Dolan on officers and CART presentation.

Discussion of who will cover CIP, Fire Facilities, School IT, committees

Fire Facilities Building Committee - Jay Hoole
Housing Task Force  - Mike Brown
School IT - Mike Toth
CIP - Frank Haggerty alternate Mike Toth

Tom Freda present possible goals for upcoming budget season.

G Douglas out 7:34. Time for the little one to get to bed.

GDouglas edit: 3/24/2007 4:08PM corrected spelling of Tom Freda
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 04:09:03 PM by GDouglas » Logged

Glenn Douglas
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:19:18 PM »

Tuned in again:

Tom Freda suggests that meeting minutes contain the votes and the individual committee member who voted for or against an item. Mike Brown said he would be happy to let the voters know how he voted. Tom Dolan commented some people may use the recorded votes for retribution and would put the budget committee out of sync with other committees. Mike Toth said it provides transparency in government. Tom Dolan feels it it would be  divisive "we against them" issue. He would prefer that the budget committee as a whole supported or not support items. He continued to say if people really want to know how we vote their is TV or DVD's. Frank Haggerty would prefer the committee as a whole support or not support a position. Freda said we don't vote by secret ballot and wanted to save the taxpayers some time in researching how people voted. Freda said "Why should a voter spend an hour and a half watching a tape to see how I voted". Sean O'keefe agreed, and said he had no problem letting voters know how he voted. There was no agreement on weather to record individual votes.

Motion to adjourn approximately 8:15

Good sugestion Mr. Freda

GDouglas edit: 3/24/2007 4:08PM corrected spelling of Tom Freda
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 04:10:07 PM by GDouglas » Logged

Glenn Douglas
south rd

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »

transparency in government !!!!   what a novel idea       Shocked
Sean O'Keefe

Sean O'Keefe

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 09:18:38 PM »

Housing Task Force correction was Sean O'Keefe,not Mike Brown Smiley
T. Freda

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 04:02:05 PM »

Mr. Douglas:

Just wanted to let you know that my name is spelled Freda.  Also wanted to let you know that the Budget Committee at our next meeting on April 19, 2007 plans to continue the discussion on recording in the minutes of the meeting how each individual member voted on any and all issues that come before it.

Tom Freda
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 04:11:35 PM »

I corrected the spelling. I think recording the vote is a great idea. If your going to vote for it stand up and let people know.

Mr. Douglas:

Just wanted to let you know that my name is spelled Freda.  Also wanted to let you know that the Budget Committee at our next meeting on April 19, 2007 plans to continue the discussion on recording in the minutes of the meeting how each individual member voted on any and all issues that come before it.

Tom Freda

Glenn Douglas
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »

Just checked out the draft minutes from the 3/22 meeting. No mention of a discussion of recording the votes of members.

http://www.londonderrynh.org/budget_committee_minutes_3-22-07_draft2.pdf

Maybe I missed it?

Glenn Douglas
Tom Dolan

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 04:51:21 PM »

Maybe I missed it?

You did.  Check reference part way down on page 3 in the draft minutes.  Final minutes will include a second reference, too.

Tom Dolan
Londonderry Citizen
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 07:17:05 PM »

You did.  Check reference part way down on page 3 in the draft minutes.  Final minutes will include a second reference, too.

No I did not miss it. Page three is the Agenda for the NEXT meeting on 4/19, not the minutes from 3/22

Committee Work – Continued discussion on whether to individually record members votes on motions.

Glenn Douglas
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »

I added a poll to this post. How do you feel.

Should the minutes reflect the votes of individual committee members when a vote is called?

I say yes.

Scroll to the top of the page to vote. You must be a registered forum user to vote.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:13:51 PM by GDouglas » Logged

Glenn Douglas
AL Baldasaro

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 10:29:21 PM »

I say yes!
Paul DiMarco

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:14:56 AM »

I believe the Planning Board minutes now reflect how each member voted when there is a division.  I have no problem with this. 

---------
Regards,
Paul D.
Mike Brown

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »

This topic is somewhat perplexing to me.  It actually falls into the way "over-analyzed" category IMO.  As an elected official, all of the votes I have previously taken (and will take) in public session are right out there for everyone to see.  Same goes for all of the other elected officials.  Some of us (myself included) want to tell everyone they run into why they voted a certain way ;-) 

I guess what some people are asking here, is for those same elected officials to simply take the extra step to "record" those same votes in the minutes, so that citizens who could not attend the meeting or don't have cable TV can see where each person stands.  Even on the largest of committees or boards, that would take all of a few minutes to capture "the obvious" down on paper.

If all it takes is a few minutes of extra note-taking to improve the transparency of local government for everyone, just do it.  It's really no big deal.

Mike Brown
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: