TownUnderground - Londonderry, NH
November 18, 2019, 11:00:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow TownUpdate.com on Facebook or Twitter

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TownUpdate, TownUnderground.....or SHUT-UP and close down?  (Read 4552 times)
GDouglas
Administrator

« on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »

It's that time of the year again. Website renewals. Time to fork out some $$$ to keep this site running. As some of the longtime readers know this site started as TownUnderground.com when it started back in 2006. Several years ago I changed the name of the site to TownUpdate.com, there were some people who felt 'underground' was to 'dark' and secretive. The reality of it was that the name had very little to do with the site. Since day one this site has been completely open to view and post on. It was not until years later when I implemented the Real Names Policy that I created a 'members only' board to allow the long time poster to comment. Looks like I shot myself/site in the foot with that policy. Comments have dropped to almost zero.

The posts on this site also ping out to two Facebook pages TownUpdate, TownUnderground and a twitter account TownUpdate

Moving databases from one site to the new site was a pain, so I kept the two website name, now it's getting to be a pain keeping up multiples names/accounts plus there is an extra cost involved.

So I can keep things the way they are or maybe go back to TownUnderground. I've been considering eliminating the 'real names policy too. I mean why not? The Town of Londonderry endorses websites that have completely anonymous posting. So maybe it's time to see if the conversation comes back going to a uses name only format. I could even grant long time members new user names if they want to ditch the real name thin completely.

The other option is SHUT-UP and close down. I'm not really sure who reads this site, if real people do read I'll keep going. If the readers are nothing more than internet spam bots, I don't see the need to stay online. I could free up 10-12 hours a week.

What say you? Post here or in members only board the a comment of drop me an email Info@TownUnderground.com
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:10:21 PM by GDouglas » Logged

Glenn Douglas
Mackenzie Douglas
Member:Full

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

Personally go back to the old name and real name policy is up to you. If it gets more attention brought to the site then I do not see the harm in that. If you give up and shut up you wont have anything to do in your spare time now that I am at school Tongue.

Sincerely,
Mackenzie Douglas
Saint Anselm College
Student Government Association
Secretary of Finance

Mackenzie Douglas
Sean O'Keefe

Sean O'Keefe

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »

I agree with Mack...keep it running as far as the names go ehh I don't mind keeping my name signed to my comments
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »

Based off of intial email responses it looks like I need to keep the site up. I do need to consolidate the two names at least on the facebook side.

I agree with Mack...keep it running as far as the names go ehh I don't mind keeping my name signed to my comments

While I would prefer everyone use a real name, I don't think that works for a lot of people.

Personally go back to the old name and real name policy is up to you. If it gets more attention brought to the site then I do not see the harm in that. If you give up and shut up you wont have anything to do in your spare time now that I am at school Tongue.

I did like the first name of the site, and I still remember the night that WE picked it, you were a lot younger back then. Switching back would be far easier than migrateing data to the new site.

Glenn Douglas
mjws2000

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:44:07 PM »

I like town update to be honest.  I think it says what you are trying to accomplish without doing it in what has been construed as having negative connotations. I apologize that I haven't been as faithful as I was in the beginning but I'm happy to post about theatre or school happenings at the middle school.  I wish there was an option to post a picture or two, but perhaps that should be relegated to the Facebook page.  In any case, keep talking.  We need to hear every voice.

Mary Wing Soares
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 06:50:20 AM »

I like town update to be honest.  I think it says what you are trying to accomplish without doing it in what has been construed as having negative connotations. I apologize that I haven't been as faithful as I was in the beginning but I'm happy to post about theatre or school happenings at the middle school.  I wish there was an option to post a picture or two, but perhaps that should be relegated to the Facebook page.  In any case, keep talking.  We need to hear every voice.

Picture are possible on the front page of the website. I'd like to keep the conversation on the foroum side, which I could do with a link to the forum. The thing I'm trying to avoid is multiple conversation in different places, ie Forum, two FB pages, and the front page.

The thing I find interesting about the whole 'underground' thing is the people always claiming that this site was the dark side of Londonderry were almost always elected or appointed official. One went so far as to yell acrossed the parking lot that I was the some sort of leaderof the 'Londonderry Shadow Government'.

Maybe I should see if LondonderryShadowGovernemnt.com is available.....lol

Glenn Douglas
bmahan

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »

I would like to see the site continue. What else would I do when I'm supposed to be doing work?
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »

I would like to see the site continue. What else would I do when I'm supposed to be doing work?

But keeping the elected in check is work, sometimes a lot of work!

Glenn Douglas
Martin Srugis

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »

Glen, I prefer the Town Update name. It is more positive and says what you do with the site.
The negative comments most likely came from those who were not interested in letting the people of Londonderry know what is going on.
I don't care about the use of your name or a fake one. As I said once before, I would rather know what's on peoples mind and how they view the town than to restrict the view.
For those who pay attention, they know the who the phonies are.
Keep up the good work.

Martin Srugis
Mike Brown

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »

Regardless of what name this site ends up with, I couldn't disagree more vehemently about allowing the use of fake names, personas, first names etc.  That goes for this site or any other community-based forum here and elsewhere.  In my opinion, anonymous posting is the height of cowardice and more importantly representative of the dramatic decline in self-accountability in our society.  The willingness (i.e. personal courage) to stand by ones own words used to be a basic tenet of a civil society.  Instead of civil discourse, anonymous posting results in nothing more than a teenage-like game of cat & mouse played out on town blogs here and elsewhere.  And it doesn't take a high level of intelligence to connect the dots and see that the anonymous jousting, name calling & character assassination is often being done by those that already don't have the personal fortitude to back their words up in a public setting.  It's a shame really and I for one will never agree with the BS arguments that many others around town have put forward regarding this topic.  It's never OK.

Mike Brown
Londonderry, NH                  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:12:18 PM by Mike Brown » Logged

Mike Brown
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 04:30:36 PM »

I stopped allowing anonymous posting almost three years ago. I still hear about the nasty comments on the blogs from council members. There is NEVER any distinction, it's always plural. So my 'blog' site gets dragged in.

It' not blogs It's ONE blog that claims to be a 'news' source. It is supported by Town Councilors, School Board members and a long list of other 'leaders'. They convieniently say they are against the attacks , but let it stand.

The Town of Londonderry is now a paying member of one of those blogs. How does the saying go you can't fight city hall.

Regardless of what name this site ends up with, I couldn't disagree more vehemently about allowing the use of fake names, personas, first names etc.  That goes for this site or any other community-based forum here and elsewhere.  In my opinion, anonymous posting is the height of cowardice and more importantly representative of the dramatic decline in self-accountability in our society.  The willingness (i.e. personal courage) to stand by ones own words used to be a basic tenet of a civil society.  Instead of civil discourse, anonymous posting results in nothing more than a teenage-like game of cat & mouse played out on town blogs here and elsewhere.  And it doesn't take a high level of intelligence to connect the dots and see that the anonymous jousting, name calling & character assassination is often being done by those that already don't have the personal fortitude to back their words up in a public setting.  It's a shame really and I for one will never agree with the BS arguments that many others around town have put forward regarding this topic.  It's never OK.

Mike Brown
Londonderry, NH                  

Glenn Douglas
Mike Brown

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »

Just to be crystal clear, I'm personally opposed to anonymous posting being allowed on "ANY" community-based forum or web site.  This one....that one.....or any others that might pop up in the future.  Simply put, hiding anonymously behind an IP address while attacking others on ANY forum or blog is cowardice.  If I'm alone in this argument so be it.         

Mike Brown
mjws2000

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »

You are not alone, Mike.

Mary Wing Soares
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 06:39:55 AM »

I don't agree with the anonymous personal attacks, but there is a difference with a discussion and asking questions.

My frustration is the fact that while this site is continually grouped into the anonymous attack camp. There are NONE, and have not been for years. Even back then I read every post and commented when things got personal.

Now we have every news source with the exception of the Londonderry Times allowing attacks. The Times does not have an online forum, but does have a Facbook page. I read an article not to long ago that a very high percentage of Facebook 'people' are fakes as well, completely bogus profiles used to lurk around the internet. It seems inescapable.

So how do you have a discussion when anyone posting here with a real name can get harassed on another blog, simply because they commented here?

Glenn Douglas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: