TownUnderground - Londonderry, NH
August 21, 2018, 06:05:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow TownUpdate.com on Facebook or Twitter

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LN - Placing Blame  (Read 763 times)
GDouglas
Administrator

« on: February 13, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »

From the Londonderry News

Placing Blame
By Chris Melcher

I don’t know exactly where I place the blame for what happened Friday night.

I could blame the people who designed the charter originally.

I could blame the 16,500 voters who did not attend, including the majority of our state government delegation.

Complete letter to the editor Here

Glenn Douglas
Sean O'Keefe
Member:Full

Sean O'Keefe

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:04:14 AM »

From the Londonderry News

Placing Blame
By Chris Melcher

I don’t know exactly where I place the blame for what happened Friday night.

I could blame the people who designed the charter originally.

I could blame the 16,500 voters who did not attend, including the majority of our state government delegation.

Complete letter to the editor Here

Chris

The premise of your letter that the voters got “played” Friday night I think is wrong. 

The idea (not based on any facts) that some voters intentionally withheld their votes during the quorum count as opposed to leaving during the two hours before 500 checked in misses the point.  The quorum worked as it was designed to.  It prevented any changes from being made to the School Board budget unless 500 people showed up.  The problem is the premise that the School Board has used as the reason for the quorum.  They claim it’s designed to stop a small group from changing the budget and by that their recent emails seem to indicate they only mean reductions to the budget.  Now we know that in practice it also prevents popular additions to the budget too.

Whether 50 or so people strategically withheld their votes doesn’t matter.  The rules entitle them to withhold their vote.  Just like it’s not required for them to show up.  The real point is that 50 people, or even one person, if the final quorum count was 499, should not have a veto over 446 or 499 people who want to make a change.

You also miss the point that the petitioners including me were not aggrieved parties because they didn’t offer any amendments.  We were aggrieved, like everyone else there Friday night because we weren’t permitted by the quorum rule to vote on Mr. Spiegelmen’s amendment. 

Maybe its time for the School District to drop their opposition to this clearly unworkable and unfair quorum, which the Attorney General’s office and the Secretary of State’s office says is illegal and unconstitutional and stop paying the School District's attorney more money for his bad advice ten years ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: