TownUnderground - Londonderry, NH
September 25, 2018, 09:57:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow TownUpdate.com on Facebook or Twitter

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Special Interest Group' the new 4-Letter word in Londonderry  (Read 1216 times)
GDouglas
Administrator

« on: August 18, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »

If I hear 'special interest groups' one more time I think I'm going to scream.

Both sides of the Charter Commission are now ranting about 'special interest groups'.

When did it become a BAD thing to have an interest in town government and PARTICIPATE. Last time I checked Green Peace was not funding either side of the Charter Commission.

It really is no wonder that less, and less people participate when some of the 'leaders' of Londonderry constantly demonize and/or marginalize anyone that disagrees with them.

Glenn Douglas
Sean O'Keefe
Member:Full

Sean O'Keefe

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:13:47 PM »

If I hear 'special interest groups' one more time I think I'm going to scream.

Both sides of the Charter Commission are now ranting about 'special interest groups'.

When did it become a BAD thing to have an interest in town government and PARTICIPATE. Last time I checked Green Peace was not funding either side of the Charter Commission.

It really is no wonder that less, and less people participate when some of the 'leaders' of Londonderry constantly demonize and/or marginalize anyone that disagrees with them.

Do what I do..Ignore them.
We have the right to challenge the current process and I could care less what they say 6 years ago 532 people wanted the change to be considered it wasn't for whatever reason was given.
We as a council listened to our constituents (voters) placed it on the warrant and guess what Al didn't MAKE them vote for anything they did it on their own irregardless of the sour grapes we will hear until voting day.
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:30:03 AM »

Do what I do..Ignore them.

I'm tired of the hypocrisy. Special interest groups, the vote was fixed from the beginning blah blah blah.

I was at the Council meeting when the Charter Com was voted by the Council to go onto the ballot. After the meeting as I was leaving walking past the rear door of the council chamber I was nearly trampled by Councilor Wagner. Face beet red and clearly annoyed that the Charter Com passed Ms Wagner said she already had 10 people lined up to run for Charter Com and they were going to stop it. So lets not cry now that the game was played a different way.

In the UL yesterday Steve Young is implying that Al 'Voter List' somehow magically got a one sided Charter Com elected.

Breaking News: The voters are not as dumb as some people think. Maybe they voted for the people on the Commission based on the campaigning? Several candindates were very clear on thier position prior to the election.

And on Special interest groups, anyone who thinks Ballot voting will create special interest groups is an out right fool. There are groups with special interests now, always have been, and always will be. They only difference is the name of the meeting they attend will change. That's the way you win the game. If you show up with more people you win, game over.

Reference Charter Com pre-election Board on the TU

Glenn Douglas
Martin Srugis
Member:Full

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »

Good morning all, I guess the definition of "special interest group" is now - not considered part of the estblishment. Town leaders have been asking for more participation in town affairs and when they get it, suddenly its a problem, especially if you don't agree with the prevailing wisdom.
I noticed when the Londonderry Democratic committee put up several candidates for this fall, no one called them a special interest group?!

Martin Srugis
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »

Town leaders have been asking for more participation in town affairs and when they get it, suddenly its a problem, especially if you don't agree with the prevailing wisdom.

Not all of them, just the few that believe when they were elected they don't need input from the residents that put them in office.

Glenn Douglas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: