TownUnderground - Londonderry, NH
September 25, 2018, 09:57:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow TownUpdate.com on Facebook or Twitter

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quorum Change  (Read 814 times)
CMelcher
Member:Full

« on: March 10, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »

OK, So my first question is this: How did the quorum reduction on the school side fail yesterday? If the school side failed, doesn't that necessitate that any SB2 charter would need to be 500 as well to satisfy voters? (And there's no sarcasm on this one...I'm genuinely confused...I figured the quorum reduction would have been a 3000-100 win)

GDouglas edit: 3/11/2010. Split the above comment from the Charter Commision board topic, just to keep the board new board announcment at the top of the screen. Original topic here http://www.townunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=2713.0
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:08:57 AM by GDouglas » Logged
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »

OK, So my first question is this: How did the quorum reduction on the school side fail yesterday? If the school side failed, doesn't that necessitate that any SB2 charter would need to be 500 as well to satisfy voters? (And there's no sarcasm on this one...I'm genuinely confused...I figured the quorum reduction would have been a 3000-100 win)

Results from the Town website on the School District Charter: Article 5 Charter Amendment – Definition of Quorum Yes 1369 / No 1615. Article Fails.

Chris, why the confusion? The School District is the 2nd? largest employer in the Town. As has been said numerous times everything passes on the school side, the employees like what the School Board is doing...etc...etc. Why would the employees vote to change anything?

A couple years ago when the Londonderry Taxpayer Association was resurrected there was a sudden increase in attendance at the Deliberative Session. Why? Surprisingly a much larger number of 'employees' were in the room. I'd guess many more were watching live on LACTV to see if 501 LTA members were going to show up. My opinion, if that had happened there would have been an influx of 'employees' about 10-15 minutes later. You can't blame them, they have every right to attend.

So, I don't understand the confusion.

Now if you'd like to really get confused why are some of the Commissioners apparently opposed (link) to lowering the School Quorum now, when in the past they seemed to be all for it?

To change the quorum we need to put a warrant article on the school articles changing the charter and lower the quorum size to 150 people.  Then we the taxpayers can again have a say at the deliberative session.  I missed the deadline this year but hope to do it next year. Kathy Wagner, January 19, 2007 (link)

Nothing confusing here. Selective memory, Yes!

ps. Chris, I also split your comment from the board announcement, to keep the conversation of a specific topic separate.

GDouglas edit: 3/10/2010. Added ps.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:11:52 AM by GDouglas » Logged

Glenn Douglas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: