TownUnderground - Londonderry, NH
November 15, 2018, 05:59:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow TownUpdate.com on Facebook or Twitter

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Economic Developement Time Line  (Read 1306 times)
GDouglas
Administrator

« on: April 09, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »

For several years we have heard that "economic development" is going to be the savior for the Londonderry Taxpayers. We have heard for at least the last two elections the talking points on what we "need" to do. So what's has been done?

Londonderry created an Economic Development task force in October of 2008. Their responsibilities include:

1. Hold meetings, in accordance with RSA Chapter 91-A
2. Provide periodic reports to the Town Council
3. Act as liaison to the Town Council and other Town Boards and committees on issues relating to the project.
4. Maintain a permanent project file that at a minimum, includes:
   a. Committee minutes;
   b. Project plans, contracts and payment requests;
   c. Project correspondence;
   d. Other material as deemed necessary.

5. Submit a written report by April 1, 2009, outlining activities and events towards completion of the Task Force’s Mission.

So what has happened since the creation of the task force? The first meeting was held on March 31, 2009 one day prior to the deadline for the written report on the task forces activities.

I must not be understanding something here. October to March....six months. Six months before scheduling it's first meeting. Clearly some individuals are working on development, we have all read about meetings with Senators, grants, Stimulus funds, Pettengill Road, etc.

What's the point of having a task force?

Glenn Douglas
Brian Farmer
Member:Full

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »

There is something being missed. 

The information you received from Andre Garron indicated that "March 31 was the first official meeting with our consultant".  He didn't say that this was the first meeting.  Fact is this committee has met several times over the past 6 months in an effort to get to the point where the March 31 meeting would be possible.   The initial meeting decided a course, or direction, to head out on. There was a meeting to approve the RFP for hiring a consultant before it was sent out.  There was a meeting to reveiw the responses to the RFP and downselect.  There were two, and possibly a third meeting to interview those firms that made the downselect and I believe one additional meeting to review the final two before a selection was made.  I may have missed something along the way and I have missed a couple of these meeting due to other commitments.

This group of volunteers has not been sitting on their hands for the last six months; they have done a lot of work and are continuing to do more.

Brian Farmer
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »

When I asked for the minutes all I got was March 31st.

91-A:1 Preamble. – Openness in the conduct of public business is essential to a democratic society. The purpose of this chapter is to ensure both the greatest possible public access to the actions, discussions and records of all public bodies, and their accountability to the people.

So how does 91A factor in here?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:28:13 PM by GDouglas » Logged

Glenn Douglas
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »

I'm not saying the work that the task force has been done should not have been, or is not worth wile.

Over the last few years running this website I've tried to get more people involved in Town. I've heard repeatedly the reason why a large number of people choose not to be involved:

I'm too busy.
I don't like politics.
I don't understand how the process works.
My opinion doesn't matter because "they" are just going to do what "they" want to do.

The task force has been meeting for six months, before it's first "official" meeting. The task force has an obligation to meet according to 91A. In fact in the Town Council's charge clearly stated that meetings should be conducted according to 91A.

Glenn Douglas
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:19:11 PM »

Just to finish this thread off. I emailed the Council asking about the task force meetings today.

Subject: Economic Development Task Force and RSA 91A
Date: Mon, April 13, 2009 12:44 pm
To: Town Council

Councilors,

I was contacted by another Londonderry resident that had an interest in attending the Economic Development task force meetings they were concerned that these meetings were not being properly noticed.

The Economic Development Task force held a meeting on March 31,2009. I asked for minutes of that meeting and all prior meetings last week. The response I received was that the March 31st meeting was the first "official" meeting of the task force. I was forwarded draft minutes of March 31st, but no other meetings.

I have since learned that the task force has conducted a number of other meetings prior to March 31st. Given that one of the duties of the task force was to "Hold meetings, in accordance with RSA Chapter 91-A", I do not understand why these meetings do not appear to have been documented according to 91A.

91-A:1 Preamble. - "Openness in the conduct of public business is essential to a democratic society. The purpose of this chapter is to ensure both the greatest possible public access to the actions, discussions and records of all public bodies, and their accountability to the people."

The task force was also charged with submitting a written report by April 1, 2009, but the first "official" meeting was not held until one day prior to that deadline.

I would ask that the Council reviews the duties and responsibilities of the task force and the requirements of 91A.

Regards,
Glenn Douglas
6 Overlook Ave
Londonderry

LONDONDERRY
"ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT TASK FORCE"
10/06/2008

PURPOSE & MISSION:The purpose and mission of the Londonderry Economic Development Taskforce shall be to develop a marketing and promotion strategy for the Town building upon the goals and recommendations of the 2008 (Draft) Economic Development Plan and 2004 Master Plan.

REPRESENTATION: The Committee shall consist of the members of the Capital Improvements Program Committee as constituted pursuant to Section 5.5 of the Town Charter.

DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:

1. Hold meetings, in accordance with RSA Chapter 91-A
2. Provide periodic reports to the Town Council
3. Act as liaison to the Town Council and other Town Boards and committees on issues relating to the project.
4. Maintain a permanent project file that at a minimum, includes:
   a. Committee minutes;
   b. Project plans, contracts and payment requests;
   c. Project correspondence;
   d. Other material as deemed necessary.

5. Submit a written report by April 1, 2009, outlining activities and events towards completion of the Task Force's Mission.

Glenn Douglas
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:22:42 PM »

A prompt response from the Council

Subject: RE: Economic Development Task Force and RSA 91A
Date: Mon, April 13, 2009 4:49 pm
To: "'Glenn Douglas'"
Cc: Town Council

Hello Glenn:

I wanted to acknowledge the receipt of your e-mail below, as well as offer a reply on behalf of the Council.  According to the Community Development Department, the Economic Development Taskforce has met four times to date:

November 10, 2008
February 9, 2009 - Interviews with Marketing Consultant Finalists
February 17, 2009 - Interviews with Marketing Consultant Finalists
March 31, 2009 - Meeting with our Marketing and Economic Development Website Consultants.

Draft meeting minutes are available for all of the above meetings at Town Hall in the Community Development department.  The minutes for these meetings will be officially approved at the next regular meeting of the EDT.  I have been informed that a web site for the EDT is in the process of being established and the above meeting minutes will be posted there, when the site is up.

Regards - Mike

Glenn Douglas
GDouglas
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »

So as you can see I, was wrong on the RSA issue. My appologgies to the task force.

Subject: RE: Economic Development Task Force and RSA 91A
Date: Mon, April 13, 2009 7:38 pm
To: "'Glenn Douglas'"
Cc: Town Council

Mike,

Thanks for looking into the sitiuation it appears my concerns were unfounded. My appologies to the task force.

Best Regards,
Glenn Douglas

GDouglas edit added email sent to Council
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:41:30 PM by GDouglas » Logged

Glenn Douglas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: